By Excel Joab
The Martell Cypher has come and it is still in our minds. As expected, the combination of M.I, Blaqbonez, Loose Kaynon and AQ delivered a lyrically solid rap buffet for us to feast on.
Because it is rap, braggadocio is a constant theme to look out for and the Martell Cypher delivers a solid dose of that.
Here are 13 of the most braggadocious/disrespectful bars from the Martell Cypher 2 .
1 .“...Cannot pay producers so they come at me with cover beats” - Blaqbonez takes shots at the rappers who have been dissing him since he declared himself the best rapper in Africa
2. “As long as M.I exists / I’m number one and y’all can figure out the rest of the list” - M.I reminds everyone that he is still the number 1 rapper in the game.
3. “... I dictate / You punch lines / You’re a typewriter” - Loose Kaynon with a solid braggadocious bar.
4. “Your starters can’t make my benches” - Ouch. Who is Loose Kaynon shading?
5. "Niggas really asking why I be so cocky / You should ask your sister why I be so cocky / And your mum's coming late blaming that shit on traffic" - Not only is Blaqbonez super cocky, he’s super rude. Hypothetically bragging about having sex with someone’s sister and mother.
6. “Bars still raw as fuck / Your fave can’t cook me” - Loose Kaynon may not release songs all the time but he wants y’all to know that he’s still much better than your favourite rappers.
7. “So now you twitter fingers keep sounding like bitter singers / every time the kid delivers / y’all gon’ cry a million rivers” - Loose Kaynon addresses the trolls who have been dissing Blaqbonez.
8. “Best thing slice bread and a slice of pizza / the worst thing since domino pizza and Monalisa” - Only AQ would diss the Monalisa. As far as he is concerned, the Monalisa is an overrated painting. The Dominos Pizza diss is well… quite understandable.
9. “Fuck you and your masters / your masters ain’t worth shit and it won’t a 100 years after” - AQ is too rude. Which artists is he referring to?
10. "Degenerating like meals from Chicken Republic." - What did Chicken Republic do to you AQ? What is the beef?
11. “I think you’re a chicken / Cause chickens are known to lie with the hen” - M.I with a brilliant double entendre here. He calls someone a chicken and the …lie with the hen line gives reference to Chickens and Hen and also takes a dig at the Hennessey cypher. So which rapper does M.I have beef with and also features on the Hennessey Cypher? Vector?
12. “I ate from rap and rap’s terrain wasn’t even arable yet” - M.I makes reference to the fact that has gotten mainstream success as a rap artist in a country where pop music is more mainstream than rap music.
13. "So who really the best rappers in Africa? / Who been top of the charts but still giving lyrical massacre / I’ll put it like this as long as MI exists / I’m number one and y’all can figure out the rest of the list / Here we go / 2 Ghanians / 3 rappers from SA / 1 Kenyan rapper can step to me on their best day / As for Naija I give the legend they props / Then it’s 4 niggas who did it like me that’s where it stops for real" - There’s a lot to unpack here so let’s break it down. As far as M.I is concerned, there are only 2 Ghanaian rappers (Sarkodie and ???), 3 South African rappers (Cassper, AKA and Nasty C) and 1 Kenyan rapper ( Khaligraph Jones ) who are as good as him. What does this mean for rappers from other countries he didn’t mention? It means that they’re not good enough. And as for Nigeria, he praised the legends and says only 4 rappers did it like him. Who are those 4? Also, just 4 out of Nigeria? Wow.
Listen To Martell Cypher 2 On Boomplay